Friday, October 17, 2008

In Peru, Off to Bolivia

I came to Lima, Peru, en route to Cochabamba, Bolivia where I'll study Spanish for six weeks. I stayed at the St. James Motherhouse in Lima for two days. I got to visit one of the St. James Lima parishes with Fr. Derek (top picture). In the 1980s it was the heaviest concentration of the members of the terrorist group, the Shining Path. Members still live there, and cause some minor trouble. Today, Friday, I got to visit Old Town Lima with Fr. Geoffrey. Here we are in the Santuary at the site where St. Rose of Lima, and St. Martin de Porres were born and raised (they grew up across the street from each other . . . holy neighborhood!) I fly to Santa Cruz tonight, where I'll meet up with Fr. Jim Coleman of our Archdiocese, until I fly to Cochabamba on Sunday.

No comments: