Thursday, October 9, 2008

Quito


I flew to Quito, the nation's capital, on Monday, Oct. 6th, where I visited with Fr. Patrick McIntyre in his parish. I also got to know Fr. Bob Thomas, former St. James Director, and another priest (pictured here), Fr. Don Kenny. Quito is suprisingly beautiful, at an altitude of 8,000 ft., surrounded by snow covered volcanic mountains, and filled with historic churches and missions. Here we are in the still active gardens of the Franciscan Monastery (with 395 friars). I was surprised at the cold weather! It was 40 degrees at night, and got to 60 degrees during the day!


Here, Fr. Bob Thomas took me on a tour of his former parish (he's semi-retired), and we reached an altitude of 11,000 ft.! Here's looking down on Quito.

1 comment:

LadyLike said...

Padre Enrique -- so glad you spent some time in beautiful Quito, our second home, as well as being able to visit with the Port Orford exchange student. Lawrence & I greatly enjoy all of the photos & captions you're sharing, thank you so much, we appreciate all you are doing to spread the Good News; your Mission Field definitely has a different look than the one on the Southern Oregon Coast!